Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Our Family Does Theater

This isn't actually a "how we cope with illnesses" post.  I'd like to get to know you and your family, and part of that is introducing my family to yours.  There are a couple of things that factor large in our lives, and one of them is community theater.

We're huge into theater, and have been for years.  Basement Artist isn't really into getting on stage, but she's spent plenty of time in the tech booth running lights.  Social Hurricane has acted in several plays and musicals and has done lots of set-building duty here and there.  Graphics Magician actually got started on the "magician" path from a friend we know through the theater, and is already a budding performer in many respects, plus he's helped out in the light booth himself.  All three kids get drafted by Adored Wife to do HER various theater activities.

Adored Wife is hugely into community theater, far more in the administrative side than I've ever been.  She's been social chair, volunteer coordinator, concessions coordinator, and facilities manager.  On the artistic side she's acted, stage managed, assistant directed, and she's directing her first show coming up.  Her various physical and neurological problems slow her down but don't stop her, and she tends to shanghai the family (that's us) for the heavy lifting she can't do.

Then there's me.  I act, I help build sets, I've done lighting design and stage managing, and I tend to be high on the list of people they call when there's heavy lifting to do.  I've been asked to be the master of ceremonies at two different award shows and I've been a presenter on other occasions.

And a lot of our social lives revolve around the theater--it really is a community and a family (and I get most of my witnessing opportunities through it.)  You'll be hearing more about the theater as we go along--it's an important part of who we are as a family.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment