Monday, January 4, 2016

Basement Artist Faces the World

Last week I said I'd talk about some ways Basement Artist deals with her insecurities.  I suppose we all cope with our various weirdnesses in our own ways--the first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one.  So I deal with depression by not trusting how I feel, Social Hurricane combats the monsters in the closet by putting down salt, Adored Wife deals with her multiple issues by laughing at them, making adjustments, and bulling through on sheer stubbornness.

And Basement Artist faces the world.

She's fundamentally insecure and she knows it.  We've talked about the potential whys and wherefores, but knowing why you're inclined to be shy and hesitant doesn't always help.  But it's still good to be able to say "I'm being timid, and I don't have to be."

And so BA makes herself go talk to people and interact and do things.  She's involved in church, in theater, at work, in social outings with friends.  If she had her preferences no doubt she'd spend her life in her room with coffee maker, sketchpad, and the internet (with occasional wilderness excursions when she wanted some exercise) but she chooses to get out there and go.

Step one.  Identify the problem.
Step two.  Deal with it head-on.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment