Monday, September 4, 2017

Getting Back on Stage

I act in plays very rarely (although I typically spend a couple of hours on Saturday mornings helping to build sets.)  Being involved in a play, whether directing or acting or stage managing, is a time-consuming hobby, with several weeks of rehearsals taking up three to four hours a night, four or five nights a week.

Adored Wife supported and even encouraged my current involvement, largely because we felt Social Hurricane needed some outlet for her energy and she's also involved in the play, working backstage and some other odds and ends.  So I'm also spending quite a lot of time with my daughter, which goes a long way toward making me feel better about the time involved.

But, in fairness, doing this is going to consume most of my life for the next two months--it's a big commitment.  Most of my creative pursuits are going to have to go on the back burner; I only have so much discretionary time, and I still have work responsibilities, household tasks, and a son, wife, and aging parents to keep up with.  I won't be working on my semi-budding authorial career until we wrap this show up.

I do know a man who, I kid you not, is typically involved with three or four shows  (and sometimes five) shows a year.  I don't know how he does it--I don't think he has a life.  This is my second play this year, and that's an awful lot by my standards.  I may take next year off entirely from acting (that's been known to happen, too.)

I'll keep you posted.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment