Thursday, August 31, 2017

Wondering If I'm Depressed

For those of you reading this, I'm way ahead on blogging, so chances are that by the time you see this I'll be feeling much better.  No need to be concerned.

I'm definitely a little depressed.  But I don't know if it's clinical depression or not.  People with brain chemistry issues can have down times just like normal people can.  Not EVERYTHING is about the diagnosis.

These are the symptoms--not sleeping well, waking up early, lethargy and lack of interest in normal pleasures, irritability, pessimism and (mild) feelings of hopelessness and despondency.

Those would normally be all the hallmarks of an episode of dysthymia (clinical depression,) except for three factors:
1. It's too early to expect one (I follow a pretty regular schedule.)  I was looking for a bad couple of weeks around this coming November.
2. The symptoms are much milder than the last, full-blown, this-is-definitely-neurochemical-imbalance thingy from May of 2016.  I'm in a bad mood, but I'm perfectly functional.
3. There really are some circumstantial things going on that could account for things.  Normally dysthymia happens irrespective of my circumstances, which is always hard for people to understand who just want to make me feel better.  I appreciate it, but I'm not cheer uppable.  I've got some schedule changes and some unusual family and household and work pressures going on, and "singing the blues" may just be a perfectly rational response to the stress going on in my life right now.  It won't last forever.

I'll keep you posted.  If it really is clinical depression, I should know for sure in a day or two.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

(Update:  I'm NOT clinically depressed.  There are some very definite tell-tale signs that would have shown up by now, and they haven't.  I'm just a little overdone, and should probably take a few days off, or something.)


No comments:

Post a Comment