Thursday, August 3, 2017

"One Vice At a Time"

Social Hurricane is hoping to live a little healthier.  In the bad old days, she got into cigarettes and alcohol, and she's ALWAYS liked junk food, plus some other unhealthy habits and practices.  She never got into illegal drugs--she was taking a lot of legal medication, and she did have the sense to know that mixing the two would be a really spectacularly bad idea.  So, there's that, anyway.

But, as I said, she's trying to live a little healthier, and I applaud her for it.  It's been several weeks since her last cigarette, and she's cut way down on the alcohol intake.  The "healthy eating and more exercise" thing hasn't really kicked in yet, and she's kicking herself for it every time she slips on the stress-and-boredom eating.

I'm actually trying to get her to cut herself a little slack.  Quitting smoking is huge, and very difficult.  I'd kinda prefer she not drink at all (I don't personally), but in all honesty I don't have any moral objections to an occasional alcoholic beverage with friends, and that's pretty much where she's at now.  Solitary drinking, or drinking to intoxication?  Yeah, that's a problem, and I'm glad she's pretty much done with that and I hope she never goes back.

The phrase I use is "one vice at a time."  Making changes in habits is hard, and I'm very proud of the ones she has accomplished.  They're entirely self-motivated, and they haven't come easy.  Let's get those under control, and then turn to the next bad habit.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment