Thursday, July 13, 2017

Family Downsizing

I know I post about the "abnormalities" of my family, but I always do that with two things in mind:

1. EVERY family is "abnormal" in some ways.
2. Along with that, a lot of the challenges we face are shared by lots of other people.

So, here's one.  We've had a child leave home.  She got married, and she's moved out.  There is absolutely nothing unique about that.  It's really going to change our family dynamics, but thousands upon thousands of families before us have faced the same issues and challenges.

I don't know what it's going to look like.  It's new to us.

So, some of the blogging will change, as we get used to the "new normal."  Lots of questions.  What am I going to call "Basement Artist" now that she's no longer in my basement?  Should we take the extra leaf out of the dining room table now that we're down to four people?  Who's going to do the recycling and the composting and the firewood?  How's the cat going to respond when he realizes she's not coming back?  Should we cut down on the amount of coffee we buy, or will Social Hurricane step up and start drinking more of it?  What are we going to do with all of the teenage and college years stuff she didn't take with her?

Who am I going to watch "Phineas and Ferb" with?  Nobody else in the family is as big a fan as BA and I are.

We'll figure it out.  In the meantime I will go ahead and select a new name for her.  Her husband is Harbor Master (reflecting his job), and Basement Artist will henceforth be known as......as......um........

I'll clearly have to give it some thought.......

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment