Thursday, March 2, 2017

Getting Sick When You're Not Well

I generally enjoy good physical health.  I don't get sick often, and when I do it's usually nothing all that major.  My recent bout with the flu was a rare exception--I was pretty worthless for a couple of days.  (I'm feeling much better now.)

But Adored Wife ALSO got sick, and it kind of threw into relief for me another thing about chronic health troubles.  People with chronic conditions handle illness differently than we healthy types do.

Low grade fever doesn't actually slow AW down much.  She already deals with so many daily aches and pains that she barely notices a minor thing like that; she's perfectly capable of just assuming she's having a bad day.  I've had to point out to her that maybe she's coming down with something.  She's used to getting up and getting moving even when she doesn't feel well, because she NEVER feels well.

But when Adored Wife catches a serious illness, that's pretty much it.  I can drag myself out of bed and get moving if I have to even when I'm feeling at death's door, because I'm overall in good health.  AW operates with so little reserve anyway that a bad virus will completely lay her low and she'll spend almost literally the whole day asleep.  That's all she's got.

Just some post-flu thoughts.

On the plus side, I lost a little weight while under the weather.  I wonder if there's some way I could arrange to be sick about another ten pounds worth?

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment