Thursday, March 23, 2017

Anniversary Cane?

Adored Wife and I celebrated twenty-seven years of matrimony last week.  We went out to lunch, and a friend had given us free passes to Biltmore House in Asheville, NC, so we toured there for a couple of hours.  It was fantastic.

Minor snafu.  AW needs a cane, not for support but for balance.  She doesn't use one in the house because she can hold onto walls and furniture and steady herself fine.  But she keeps one in the van for when she goes out.

Except that morning, I'd used the van to haul a desk and cleared everything out of the back of it.  Including, of course, AW's cane.  I'd meant to put it back in.  Only I didn't.

So, we get to the restaurant and I smack myself in the head because it's at that point I realize I've forgotten to put the cane back in the van.  Absolutely nobody else to blame--this one was entirely and completely my fault.

We managed okay in the restaurant; AW just held on to my arm the whole time.  But she was understandably anxious about walking around Biltmore's house and grounds without her support--she has serious issues with unsteadiness and very little peripheral vision.

Our timetable would make going back home unworkable.  So, between the restaurant and the mansion I stopped in at Wal-Mart, and bought her a new cane.  Pretty blue one, actually.  She likes it.

Um...happy anniversary, sweetheart?

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment