Monday, February 6, 2017

Caught at Karaoke!

For reasons of my own I prefer that my eldest daughter doesn't drive the ailing Jeep home from work late at night. For other reasons, it's sometimes preferable that she drives the Jeep to work.  Long story short, I will occasionally drop off at the bar & grill where she serves capably as a prep cook to trade vehicles with her.  She doesn't know when I'm going to do this, only that it's sometime during her shift.  I'll usually catch her dishwashing or making sandwiches or cutting chicken or something, you know, kitcheny.  I'll say "hi" and drop the keys off, and then head off in the Jeep.  (I keep a spare set for the Jeep, so I don't have to get keys from her.)

The other night I parked in the back of the restaurant and walked in the kitchen entrance.  I'm friends with the owner and my daughter of course works there, so I'm comfortable enough doing this.

There was no one in the kitchen, which is unprecedented for me.  I follow the sounds through to the dining room.  They'd hit a slow period--there were numerous people eating but nobody had ordered anything recently and so the kitchen staff took a break and came out to get something to drink and chill out for a bit.

And Basement Artist was singing Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" at the karaoke machine.  Now, her voice is very soft owing to some laryngeal damage in her infancy, and she doesn't have much in the way of volume.  But she had a microphone.  And she has a pleasant contralto and she was carrying the tune very capably.  I was impressed.

She was a little abashed to be caught in the act.  She finished the song and came over to give me a hug.

"Hi, Papa.  I wasn't expecting you."

"Clearly."

I handed over the keys and, grinning, took my leave and let her get back to it.  She's NEVER going to live this down.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment