Thursday, January 19, 2017

Playwrights in the House

Adored Wife and I are heavily involved in the local community theater.  The kids used to be but the girls' schedules no longer permit much and Graphics Magician has lost some of his interest in it.

But AW told me she wanted to write a play and present it to the "New Playwrights" competition next month.  The winner gets the play produced at the theater (and gets to direct it).  She said it was just a wild idea but she's gotten enthusiastic about it.  She's never written a play before, and she told me she was going to want my help.

I told her I'd be glad to help her out.  I was more than happy to commit to being her sounding board and proofreading her punctuation.  (In all due modesty, I'm better at semicolons than she is.)

But that wasn't the kind of help she wanted.  She wants my help as a co-writer.

So now we're co-writing two one-act plays and it's a lot of fun thus far.  The concept and most of the funny ideas so far are hers; most of the wordsmithing is mine.  It'll wind up very much a collaborative piece.

So, a new adventure.  Let's see if Adored Wife and I can survive writing a play together.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment