Monday, January 30, 2017

Celebrating

There have been a few challenges of late in our household for me personally, and it's very easy to get bogged down with my eyes on the negative stuff.

Today I choose to celebrate the blessings.  In no particular order, just as they occur to me:

1. It is very soothing to watch a cat sleep, and very entertaining to watch him play with a cardboard box and packing material.
2. There is plenty to eat in my kitchen.  I don't have any worries whatsoever over where my next meal is coming from, or indeed my next several meals.
3. I have no shortage of things to play with in my leisure time.  I have several good books I'm working through, numerous episodes of "Mythbusters" recorded, lots of computer games if I'm so inclined, and a new tool chest I want to get set up and organized.  Boredom is not a problem.
4. I have weights, a chin-up bar, and a treadmill if I feel the need of exercise.
5. I enjoy talking with both my girls about fictional stuff--movies, creative writing endeavors, books, television shows.  I like hearing about their work and telling them about mine.
6. My son, while on occasion an uncommunicative teenager, often surprises me with his ability to carry on an insightful conversation about current events and matters philosophical.
7. My wife and I have a mutual love of the theater, have very similar tastes in popular culture, and have a couple of games we like to play together.  She usually wins.  But not always.
8, On a professional level I like my co-workers, get to interact with lots of delightful people, and the other night got to spend twenty minutes on the playground with a lively three year old boy.  We had a ball.  Plus I get to hold babies a lot.
9. My parents are elderly and beset with many health difficulties, but they are still with us and I cherish the time we have.
10. I have ample evidence that God is watching over me, guiding me, and taking care of me.
11. I have plenty of creative pursuits, and opportunities to do things that I am both good at and find fulfilling.
12. I have a relationship with an accountability partner, a godly man who gently keeps me straight.
13. I am close to my family, particularly my twin brother.  We talk frequently, about everything.
14. My health, while not perfect, is good.  I'm strong, capable, generally feel well and energetic, and I sleep great.

I feel better already.  May I encourage you, friends, to count your own blessings?  Hope all's well out there, and may God watch over you.

No comments:

Post a Comment