Monday, January 23, 2017

Friends With Social Hurricane

We had a very rough time of it with Social Hurricane a few years ago.  Full blown bipolar disorder onset plus an extremely rebellious streak showing itself.  Ran away from home a few times and stayed away for days (didn't know where she was), had a couple of suicide attempts, a few trips to the hospital, two stays in psychiatric facilities, and all manner of unhealthy behaviors.

We got into several yelling matches, I had to physically restrain her more than once, and one time I knocked her locked door down because she was doing herself mischief on the other side of it.

It was a pretty stressful era, to be honest with you.

So it's come as a bit of a surprise that she and I are getting along great these days.  We talk about lots of things, enjoy going out and doing stuff together, and bond over a mutual love for certain authors and books.  The relationship's not perfect, but if you'd told me a few years back that I'd find myself sitting at Bojangles with my daughter hearing with entertainment about funny stories from her work day and telling her a few from mine, I don't know that I would have believed you.

It's nice, to have come safely through a storm.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment