Thursday, December 22, 2016

What We Do For Christmas

We'll spend Christmas Eve and most of Christmas day with my in-laws.  We've done this for years.  It's about an hour and fifteen minute drive to their house, not at all bad.  We used to be fifty minutes away, and then for a few years we were six hours away, and now we're back to this distance which works out very well.  Our families are quite some distance apart so for years we've typically done Thanksgiving with my family and Christmas with Adored Wife's.

We've actually been very fortunate so far in that, except for that one interesting year when Social Hurricane was confined to a psychiatric facility in late December, we've had all three of our kids with us, and it'll be the same this time around.  We don't have any particular Christmas Eve traditions except for the surreptitious filling of the stockings.  There will be food, of course.

Christmas morning we get up at various times, do coffee and snacks, and have an official brunch around ten.  Stockings are fair game when you wake up in the morning (and were a much bigger deal when the children were younger) but we do present time together.  Then, we play with our presents, socialize, and eat a big meal usually around four in the afternoon before packing up and heading for home.

It's a little different when Christmas falls on a Sunday.  When I was a regular pastor, we'd have Sunday morning services (and a couple of times my in-laws have been to my house so that could happen.)  This year I'm taking Sunday off, and we'll keep to our usual traditions.  I feel odd not going to church on a Sunday but I have some family members who don't do well with change and I think it's probably kinder and wiser to stick to the tried and true.

But I hope and pray everyone out there has a very merry Christmas.  God bless, friends, and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment