Saturday, May 14, 2016

Bored With Depression

One of the big problems I'm having with this depressive episode is how self-centered it seems to be making me.  I'm just plain not interested in ANYTHING, and the only thing I can think about (to the extent that I'm thinking at all) is how fuzzy-headed I am.

It's getting boring, and it's almost certainly gotten boring to my family and friends as well.

So I'm going to stop talking about it, but I'm having a great deal of difficulty being creative about other matters.  I'll take a small break, okay?.  My brain should snap back to normal on its own any time now (and if it doesn't I'm going to see what I can do about getting some help for it) and then, Lord willing, I can find more engaging stuff to talk and blog about then the dysthmic episode that's become tedious to us all.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone is different, but for the self-aware, it is quite hard to snap out of it because one spends so much time thinking about it, that it gives one another reason to be depressed!

    Though it is cliched, for me, the best thing to do is to try *super* hard not to focus on it. To think of something completely different, and maybe even obsess with that. For the last few years, that has been building LEGO sets. Not a cheap form of therapy, that’s for sure, but I’ve always loved LEGO, and if I am not creating my own, then just following simple instructions and creating the what they tell you, seems to help.

    If you go that route, may I suggest the Creator 3-in-1 sets? They range from $20 to $70 [all based on how many pieces are included], and the cool thing about them is you can build 3 things [not all at once - each build requires the same pieces, so you get the satisfaction of building something, tearing it down, building something else, tearing it down, and building a 3rd thing.

    The other thing - get out and walk….just walk….walk to the park…walk while at the park….just walk….find times/places when you won’t run into people you know, so you can live in a bit of a bubble while you walk, and just ….do that. The exercise will help both your muscles and your brain. It can be hard to get started, but once you do, it may become a habit and may help you snap out of it.

    Both things, with enough time, work for me. Important thing is - don’t pressure yourself to finish this in any particular timeline - that just adds more to the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much for the encouragement, Vince. At this writing I've thankfully snapped out of it (sixteen days, not bad) and am feeling much more myself. Staying busy and active is wonderful therapy and I tried to do as much as possible over the course of the episode. I came to grips some time back with this, and it's much easier to deal with than the much more impairing depression others I know deal with, but it's still not fun. Fortunately it seems to only kick in every eighteen months so far, so I should be good until November of 2017. Thanks for writing and enjoy the Legos. :)

    ReplyDelete