Monday, May 22, 2017

Conversations, Lightly Seasoned With Memory Issues

I am, let's be fair, occasionally absent-minded myself.  If I don't write it down, chances are good it won't get done.  Usually, something will jog my memory later (usually too late to do any good) and I'll have a regrettable "oh, yeah, that" moment.  Some things don't stick in my mind at all.  I don't think I forget them, I just don't think I really paid them enough attention to record them accurately in the first place.

So, yeah, I'm absent-minded.  Unfortunately I don't have any neurological issues to blame it on, but fortunately it's generally not too bad.

Adored Wife has significant memory issues, with plenty of neurochemical grounds to account for them.  Some times, things that she once knew just, purely and simply, go away, without hope or chance for recall.  No jogging her memory, no reminding her of things.  They're simply not there any more.

The awkward thing in conversations is that we'll sometimes have different recollections of how things have happened.  Usually, my version of events is more accurate than AW's, and we both know this, because of the interesting place that is her brain.

Usually.  But not always.

Because it HAS happened that I've legitimately forgotten something myself, and AW hasn't.  And that gets difficult when I'm sympathetically assuming that she's forgotten something and she's second-guessing herself, because her memory is only a rough guide to events for her.

And then something will jog my memory, and, oops.  My bad.  Sorry, AW, you were right about that one, and I was wrong.  (With a little luck, though, she'll forget that she was right and I was wrong.  Otherwise I'd never live it down.)

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

1 comment:

  1. If I had a dollar for every time I was saying something and completely lost my train of thought, I would have, let me think, uh, what was I talking about again?

    ReplyDelete