Thursday, October 20, 2016

Weight Loss Ups and Downs

About two years ago I was at the heaviest I've ever been in my life, 235 pounds.  I'm a big guy and I can carry some extra weight with no trouble, but that's still thirty to forty pounds more than I ought to be lugging around.  Plus, I was having a few health troubles, so I actually broke down and saw a doctor.

The doc gave me a compassionate but straightforward lecture and my blood tests woke me up.  I wasn't in the diabetic range but I was solidly in the "prediabetic" category and that was a trend that needed to be reversed, asap.

So I turned over a new leaf and started behaving myself.  I lost twenty pounds in three months and kind of plateaued there.  The doctor was pleased with the weight loss, my numbers looked MUCH better, and I felt a lot better.

I could have benefited a lot from losing at least fifteen more pounds.  Instead, I got lazy and self-indulgent and wound up putting most of it back on.

It's not lack of exercise, honestly.  I've never been an athlete, but I've always had a moderately active life and my typical week involves a fair amount of physical activity.

It's the food.  I would eat when I was bored, or stressed, or tired, or because of the pleasure of the taste.  It was gluttony and making a god out of my stomach.  (Stomach-olatry?)  I would turn to food when I should have, to be frank, been turning to the Lord to meet my emotional needs.

The weight started to come back, and I started to feel unwell again.

I've had to do some repenting and life examining.  By the grace of God, I'm heading back in the right direction.  I'm back down to 220, and I already feel better and have more energy.  This time, I'm promising myself that I'm not going to slack off.  I'm heading to 200 pounds.  That may be a healthy weight for my frame; as I said, I'm a big guy.  I'll have to see how I look and feel when I get there.

But I will get there.  I crave your prayers and support.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment