Monday, August 29, 2016

Invisible Troubles

This is a thing that bugs me just a little.

Have I mentioned that I have a bad knee?  Two knee surgeries, next step is probably a knee replacement, but it HONESTLY doesn't really bother me as long as I behave myself.  I can walk for miles, a flight of stairs is no problem, I can engage in heavy manual labor, I can do all kinds of things.  When I've been overdoing it, as happens from time to time, then the knee acts up and gives me a little bit of trouble, and yes, there's some discomfort and an obvious limp.

Lots of people know that I have a bad knee, because I can't hide the occasional limp.  But I think maybe it troubles me ten days a year, tops.  Seriously, that's about how often it is.  It's not a big deal.

Now, here's the thing.  There are lots and lots of things in my life that I could wish were otherwise.  I mean, God's good and takes care of me, and I don't really have anything to worry about.  But sometimes life is difficult, and there are a lot of pressures that could get to me if I let them.  And I'm not proud of this, but sometimes I let them.  But all those troubles are invisible--most people don't know about them unless I say something.

But if I had a nickel for every time someone asked me how my knee was doing, I'd have....oh, let's not exaggerate.....probably enough for a burger and fries, plus drink, over the past few years.  It's not an everyday thing, but it's pretty often.

And sometimes I want to tell people that if my knee was all I had to worry about I'd consider myself a remarkably happy man.  Sometimes I want to tell them that my knee doesn't even make the "Top Twenty" list of things that bother me.  Sometimes if I had my wish I'd wish people would make the effort to get to know the REAL burdens I carry.

Anyway, it's a little frustrating sometimes, and it'd be nice to occasionally get a little compassion and understanding for the invisible troubles.  Thanks for letting me vent.

God bless, friends.






No comments:

Post a Comment