Thursday, June 16, 2016

Telling Stories on the Kids

I have three children, pseudonymously known as Basement Artist, Social Hurricane, and Graphics Magician, all three of whom have given permission to have their lives featured in this blog.

Having said that, I do feel the need to have some respect for their privacy.

Among my other failings, I used to be a Baptist pastor (I'm currently a Baptist associate pastor, so not much of an improvement, but I don't preach that often any more.)  You always had to be very careful using the children for sermon illustrations--it was okay when they were very young, but they weren't far into elementary school when the cute stories started to embarrass them.

Similarly, I have to be careful about putting funny stuff on Facebook about my children.  And I have to be circumspect about what I say about my kids on this blog.  I have their permission, sure, but I also have to have some consideration for their feelings and their privacy.

BA and SH, being of the young adult persuasion, are now to the point that telling interesting anecdotes about their childhood doesn't bother them (much).  We've passed some sort of statute of limitations, but I still don't want to embarrass them.  GM on the other hand, being thoroughly twelve and pushing hard on thirteen, hasn't reached that happy perspective point, and it's hard enough being his age already without dad throwing out some comical tale from his childhood for all the world to see.

So, I have to be a little careful, even though there's a wealth of funny material I could draw from.

The stories I could tell you.....

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment