Monday, June 26, 2017

The Really Bad Monday

Okay, I think I can talk about this now.

Monday, June 5th.  I'm at work, Social Hurricane is sleeping owing to having worked her 3rd shift CNA job the night before, Adored Wife and Basement Artist are running around doing wedding stuff, and have picked up Graphics Magician from school midday.  He was done early due to testing.

GM is talking to AW in her room when all of a sudden she stops breathing.  GM reports this as her grabbing at her throat and then passing out.  GM gets the Artist, who starts CPR, and then he wakes up the Hurricane, who very sensibly calls 911 and then calls me.

I'm not giving all the details.  There are some things I may NEVER be ready to talk about.

By the time I get there, there's an ambulance, a fire truck, and several first responder cars.  I'm okay with this, and I'm very glad they got there first.  AW is semiconscious and incoherent and having convulsions, but she's being given the best of care.  A neighbor lady has come over, and I dispatch her to go give some emotional support to the kids while I'm talking to the med-techs.

Counting the time with Graphics Magician, another time after the EMTs arrive, and once more in the ambulance on the ride to the hospital, AW stops breathing at least three times.

Things start to settle down after a few hours and they get lots of powerful medication into her.  In the Emergency Room, the first coherent thing she whispers is "I don't have time for this."

They run every test in the book, and the official diagnosis, arrived at Tuesday afternoon, is "neurological episode."  Which I think is doctorese for "we don't know what happened and we don't know if it's going to happen again."

Whee.

Monday night is spent in the hospital.  Tuesday night, they'd kind of like to keep her in the hospital but she really wants me to take her home and we manage to persuade them.  Wednesday she sleeps pretty much the whole day, Thursday she sleeps a lot, Friday she's able to get a few things done, but only in ten-minute periods before having to go rest.

And this is a week before our daughter is getting married.

At this writing, seventeen days after the episode, she's still only good for about half of hour of activity at a time and she's aggravated with it.  She'd had a wedding to do, and she had to hand off LOTS of things that she'd really kind of wanted to do herself.  (Thank the Lord for wonderful friends and family.)  And quite a few little touches that she'd wanted to add just didn't happen.

I pointed out to her that she, you know, nearly died, and she should probably cut herself some slack.

She's still annoyed at not bouncing back from this more quickly.

So, that's kind of where we stand.  I'll tell more stories later.  Thanks for reading.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment