Monday, April 24, 2017

Skipping a Concert

Apparently normal people go out to concerts and movies and restaurants and public social things on a pretty regular basis.  At least, so we've heard.

It's a bit different for us.  One, finances are just a little tight.  We're very blessed, certainly--we eat regularly, we have a roof over our heads, and I don't have to worry this month about paying the light bill.  There are lots of people who can't say these things; we're very fortunate.  But if something major breaks on a car or something like that we'll have to shuffle some things around, and we kind of have to pick and choose the luxuries a little.  No complaints, but "going out" is not something we can affored to do on a frequent basis.

Two, I don't much enjoy crowds.  I'm almost pure introvert and, while I'm not at the level of neurotically avoiding social gatherings, they're not on my fun list.  I hear people on the radio getting excited about going to big concerts and meeting celebrities and people at church talking about these things like they're something to look forward to, and it just doesn't light my fire.  I get that extroverts are wired that way, but I have a hard time seeing things from their perspective.  So, no, I don't tend to seek out concerts.

Three, Adored Wife deals with chronic pain, and she has a limited amount of "up time" before she has to go lie down.  Otherwise, she probably WOULD enjoy concerts more.

So we don't do a lot of concerts.  But we had tickets to go see one because we'd given some money to a local charity and they were putting on a benefit concert.  We believe in the charity and consider it well worth supporting.  But it wasn't a band we were all that excited about--nothing wrong with them, we just weren't particular fans.  But we'd planned to go to the concert because, after all, we had tickets.  And I could have chosen to enjoy myself; I'm good at finding fun where fun is to be had.

But AW brought up that she wasn't interested enough in the band to spend her limited "up time" on them, and I hadn't been enthusiastic about it in the first place.  So we gave the tickets away to a local couple, and they enjoyed the concert.  We also had a gift certificate to a nearby steakhouse, so we went there and had an excellent meal and then walked around the mall a little until AW had exhausted her up time, and then we went home, very satisfied with the evening.

A good time was had by all.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment