Thursday, September 22, 2016

Sports Impairment

There's an issue that I've yet to talk about on this blog, but it's actually given me personally a great deal of trouble fitting in to normal society over the years.

I'm sports impaired.

Physically I'm actually quite strong and before I blew my knee out I was a distance runner.  But I've never been agile or quick on my feet and never had any kind of decent hand-eye coordination.  I can't throw a baseball, basketball, or football with any degree of accuracy.  I was a decent endurance runner once, but never had either the takeoff speed or the top speed that any kind of athletic endeavor requires.  I can't play sports.

Psychologically I'm not particularly competitive and don't "get" what being a sports fan is like.  I've never had any interest in playing sports, and I don't follow them.  I can watch a basketball game and appreciate the grace, skill and power of a well-trained athlete, but I don't care who's playing or who wins.  I rarely watch or attend sporting events, other than my son's games, because I don't see the point.

Which brings me to my son's games.  Graphics Magician is adopted, which leads me to think there really is such a thing as a "sports gene."  He has it; I don't.  He loves sports, both following them and playing them, and he's pretty good, not a prodigy or anything but he can hold his own and then some.  He's fast, agile, and wiry and has the makings of a fine soccer or basketball player or a track & field athlete.  He'd play football if I'd let him.  He knows (and cares) way more about current popular athletics than I do, and I sometimes wonder how he picks all this stuff up.

But I'm glad, in a way, that my son is into sports.  He'll have his issues but he won't have to suffer the secondhand citizen status of the man who has to be reminded that the Super Bowl is coming up.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless.

2 comments:

  1. Found your blog and I've really enjoyed reading it! My blogger addy is http://intentionalmommyhoodblog.blogspot.com :) I tend to be more on the antisocial side even in the blogger world, but there's a little here and there to ponder on :) Excited to find a new blog to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stacy--I appreciate the feedback. I like the look of your blog as well and am looking forward to exploring it. :)

    ReplyDelete