Thursday, July 21, 2016

My Dad's Birthday

It's my father's eighty-ninth birthday today.  I'd like to wish him a very happy day.

He'll never see this or know about it unless somebody tells him--he's heard about the internet but doesn't have any particular interest in using it.  My older brother lives with him and Daddy relies on him for any computer stuff that needs doing.

He does have a cellphone, which he likes.  And he really enjoys the buttons and gadgets in his car.  And the television remote control is the greatest invention in the history of the world.  Other than that, he's not all that interested in technology.

He's a little surprised he's lived this long.  As he's fond of saying "I'm not sure what age you get to be an old man.  But I'm pretty sure I've got there."  For an elderly man with heart trouble, balance issues, high blood pressure, circulatory problems, hearing loss, palsy and arthritis he's actually doing pretty well.  He also says "I don't feel like doing anything, but that's the beauty of it.  I don't have to."

I quote him a lot, probably more than I'm aware.  He's wise, clever, and funny, and he's had many adventures and stories from his long life.  He can be garrulous and inquisitive, but I think a lot of that is deliberate because he knows he can get away with it.  A man has to have a hobby.

I don't know how much longer we're going to have him--we've had a few scares here and there, some of them quite recent.  I treasure the time we do have with him and I know it's not going to be that many more years before we bid him farewell to his heavenly home.  I owe the old man a lot, and I'm very aware that much of the man I am is due to him.

Happy birthday, Daddy.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment