Friday, November 27, 2015

Frustration With Bullies

I try to approach most things with a sense of humor.  I have a tough time thinking of anything funny about bullying.

Basement Artist dealt with bullies in her day and Graphics Magician deals with them in his.  Social Hurricane ran across bullies but never had any really significant issues with them if memory serves.  (I think she scared most of them away to be honest with you.)

It's a serious problem in our day and age and one that frustrates me tremendously as a parent.  Any time one of my children has mentioned bullying, what dad really wants to do is go find these little jerks who think it's entertaining to torment others and explain a few things to them in no uncertain terms.

I do understand that's probably not a workable idea.  But it makes me feel helpless and I don't like feeling helpless.  I know there are mean and cruel people in the world and that sooner or later my children will have to learn how to deal with them.  And I also know that my own children aren't perfect angels either and sometimes children really don't intend or understand the harm they wind up causing.  And I also know that teachers and school officials deplore bullying and try to curb it but they're not miracle workers.

And I really do know that, to take my son as an example, he really, really, REALLY doesn't want me to go charging into the school and throw my weight around.  He'll survive a few middle school jerks.  He knows he will.  But the embarrassment of having his dad go in and try to fix things could wind up haunting him for decades.  He'll take the bullies, thanks anyway.

Hope all's well out there, friends, and God bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment